Writing and Editing Website Content
The written content on your website is an important sales tool. It lets your customers know who you are and what you are all about. Regularly writing and editing website content to show off your products or services will set you apart from your competitors. As website styles change and grow outdated over time, your business will benefit from a regular refresh to avoid becoming obsolete.
How often should you update your website content?
If you have been in business for a few years and feel that it’s time to update your company image, then overhauling the look of your website is a great idea. However, it is also important to update the content on the website when you update the look of your website. This will ensure that your new image is consistent across all aspects of your business.
There are other benefits to regularly updating and editing website content. For example, the more regularly you produce or update web content, the more regularly Google will index the content. This can lead to higher rankings in search results and in turn, higher sales.
Below we’ve compiled a list of our top 10 reasons why it’s important to keep your website content up to date. You may be surprised by some of the potential benefits.
Top 10 Reasons to Update and Refresh Your Website Content:
1. Errors or omissions: When you regularly check your website for any errors or omissions, you ensure that the content is concise, accurate and complete. If you haven’t updated your website in a while, it is also an opportunity to include new products or services that you offer or to update small details that may have changed over time.
2. Strengthening the message: Use data from your business’s performance and include it in your message. This can assist you in growing in the right direction. For example, if sales are slow, perhaps include more of a sales message. Or if you want to sell more of a particular product or service, make sure it is well written about with compelling copy and a call to action.
3. Industry updates: Editing website content to keep up-to-date with changes in your industry will position you as an expert and a leader.
4. Competitor check: Take the opportunity to check out what your competitors are doing. If they are doing well, consider including aspects of their pitch in your website content and business plan. If you haven’t stopped to take a look at your competitors in a while, you may be surprised at new directions they have taken. You may decide to adapt some of the ideas for yourself and promote them on your website in order to remain competitive.
5. Always improving: Refreshing and editing website content will show your customers that your business is always growing, adapting and improving. This will give them confidence in your business and the knowledge that you understand what they need, as their needs may change over time.
6. Improve search engine rankings: Regularly updating content on your website is good for your SEO ranking. This is because search engine bots frequently crawl your website looking for fresh information to index. As the bots index new or updated information, your website will be freshly indexed. This may result in a higher ranking and as such, more sales opportunities can come your way.
7. Update keywords: Regularly reviewing and updating relevant keywords is good for your SEO and PPC strategies. You want to update keywords in case any have been missed or were not relevant at the initial time of content writing. Updating your content is a great opportunity to include any extra keywords for your industry that you may have overlooked or just not considered.
8. Fixing language issues: If English is not your first language, it is beneficial to have a professional editor or SEO copywriter rework the content on your website as this will strengthen the language and sales message. Website content that is written in fluent English will read more easily and retain users for longer. It’s also a requirement for Google if you want your website to rank well in terms of SEO. Editing website content to make it user-friendly is very important.
9. Discovering hidden opportunities: When you start updating your content, you may accidentally stumble on untapped opportunities that weren’t previously obvious. For example, when researching keywords to include in your content, you may discover that you aren’t promoting your business as well to a particular age demographic or target market. Making a few little changes to your strategy could increase your sales.
10. A fresh perspective: If you find that you don’t have time to update your website because you are too busy building an awesome business, then hiring a web content writer and editor is your best option. A web content writer, otherwise known as a web copywriter, can lay fresh eyes on your website content and either edit your existing content or create fresh new content including blog posts or articles to enliven your website.
In fact hiring a web content writer can often gain you better results than writing the content yourself. This is because a great web-based writer, will not only have expertise in writing but will also be experienced in researching, search engine optimisation, sales and marketing and will also have solid experience in business to draw from.
If you would like to update your existing website content or would like help creating new content, then get in touch with Content Is King today. We can discuss your needs and start writing and editing website content to improve your site straight away.